Pictorial History of St. Peter’s | 1865 to the Present Day
1865 – 1917
In 1865, Mrs. Daniel Lamson, dismayed by the gradual introduction of Unitarian theology into Congregational practices, broke away from the First Parish to establish the first Episcopal services in Weston. For many years, there was no church building or rector. Informal prayer services were held in various homes, and then, for a time, in a small white schoolhouse that is still standing on the Boston Post Road. These early parishioners were mostly women, and, like Mrs. Lamson, they were born in England and confirmed as Anglicans.
Weston’s first Episcopal rector, The Reverend Arthur Papineau, arrived in 1901. Armed with a revolver and blank cartridges to frighten off farm dogs, he bicycled seventeen miles from Maynard every other Sunday after conducting services there. By 1905, the congregation had grown, and the services were moved from the Fiske house on Merriam Street to the old Town Hall – also used by the Roman Catholics in town – where a desk served as the lectern and a fruit bowl as the baptismal font.
Within a decade, there were thirty-six families attending regularly, and, on January 1, 1914, the Weston group officially became St. Peter’s Church, a mission of the Diocese, named after St. Peter’s Church in Weston, England. In 1915, The Reverend Frederick Reeve succeeded Father Papineau.